NLGA is publishing State Strategy Perspectives from NLGA members and NLGA Partners from September 2020 – February 2021. These were published in September of 2020.
|Lt. Governor Adam Gregg, Iowa||“Lt. Governor Gregg Empowers Rural Iowa Communities”|
· Rural set-asides in tax credit & grant programs & eased regs for projects
· Targeted broadband incentives for higher speeds and underserved areas
· Investing in rural leadership development
|National Association of Home Builders||“Soaring Lumber Costs Have Added $16,000 to the Price of a New Home”|
· Spur ag jobs by calling for/incentivizing increased lumber production; &
· Improve rural housing affordability by asking for the prioritization of a softwood lumber agreement with Canada.
|Lt. Governor Juliana Stratton, Illinois||“Educate On & Highlight Agricultural Producers”|
· Ensure & advocate for ag education for all young people, in all states
· Highlight farmers, producers, specialty growers, & businesses
· Rural, young people need access to post-secondary education & broadband
|Abbott Nutrition||“Malnutrition as a Social Determinant of Health”|
· Malnutrition is a determinant of health, esp. for older adults & minorities
· Malnourished patients have longer hospital stays, higher costs & mortality.
· Educate patients on the importance of talking nutrition with doctors.
|Lt. Governor Suzanne Crouch, Indiana||“A Report: State Strategies for Rural Recovery Post-COVID”|
· Universities, state agencies, the lieutenant governor & more work together.
· Keeping people housed in rural areas is essential.
· Broadband is essential to rural agribusiness, education, & health
|The Pew Charitable Trusts||“State Broadband Programs: Who Runs Them & What Are They Doing?”|
· 1/3 of states have broadband goals in an agency; others in task forces
· Improving broadband includes engaging stakeholders, managing reliable data, executing plans, and administering grants
|Lt. Governor Lynn Rogers, Kansas||“The Office of Rural Prosperity”|
· LG leads Offc of Rural Prosperity=listening tour of 130 mtgs in 44 towns
· Conducting 1st housing study in decades for targeted investments
· KS Certified Sites Program tells developers when the state deems a site ideal for investment and growth.
|No Kid Hungry||“Summer SNAP for Children: A Tool to Feed Hungry Kids in Rural Communities”|
· MD provides an add’l $30 per summer month & $10 in Dec for each child in households receiving SNAP benefits, directly to existing EBT cards.
· The model taps existing food supply chains & generates add’l revenue for food retailers & local economies while providing nutritional assistance.
|Lt. Governor Billy Nungesser, Louisiana||“Crawfish Etouffee never tasted so good”|
· LA produces about 90% of the nation’s commercial crawfish
· These come from 120,000 acres of ponds on at least 120,000 farms.
· Many crawfish ponds are also cultivated to produce rice the same year.
|Americans for the Arts||“The Rebuilding Power of The Arts in Rural Communities”|
· Rural arts draw nonlocal audiences at >r rates than urban (31% vs 19%).
· Innovation companies in rural counties rises proportionately w/ local arts
· Residents of arts-rich rural communities earn higher incomes
· In unlocking nature to enrich the quality of life:
· ADM feed optimizes shrimp growth by 10% & reduces mortality by 40%.
· Developed FDME, a building-block for sustainable plastics