NLGA is publishing State Strategy Perspectives from NLGA members and NLGA Partners from September 2020 – January 2021. State Strategies in Health was published in October of 2020 and January of 2021.
Lt. Governor Jeanette Nunez, Florida
|“Highlights 2020 Successes as an Advisor to Florida’s Department of Health”|
· Appears in English & Spanish promoting COVID info & health screenings
· Asked residents fully recovered from COVID to donate their plasma
· Chaired the Re-Open Florida Task Force Executive Committee
|The Pew Charitable Trusts||“10 Years of Data Show Dental Therapists Boost Productivity and Revenues”|
· Dental therapists provide preventive and routine restorative care
· These midlevel providers maximize resources and expand workforce.
· State OK of dental therapy may increase oral health care to underserved areas
|Alzheimer’s Association||“CDC, Alzheimer’s Association Release New Action Brief on Dementia Caregiving”|
· 16-M Americans provide unpaid care for dementia patients valued at $244-B
· To support this, states may establish a respite care infrastructure and increase and align services & Medicaid to enable people with dementia to remain at home.
|Americans for the Arts||“Strengthening Mental Health with The Arts”|
· 1/3 to ½ of Americans are reporting anxiety or depression, 3X the previous year
· Arts are proven effective in reducing anxiety and increasing satisfaction—improving both quality of care and the financial bottom line, for all incl military
|Lt. Governor Dianne Primavera, Colorado||“Improving Health Care for all Coloradans”|
· Her Offc of eHealth Innovation disrupts the status quo
· In 2-yrs, reduced health ins cost for individuals in private market by 20.2%
· Offc of Saving People Money on Health Care coordinates 10 state agencies
|Lt. Governor Garlin Gilchrist, Michigan||“Addressing Racial Health Disparities & Rolling Out Vaccines”|
· LG chairs the Michigan Coronavirus Task Force on Racial Disparities
· Implementing policies saw percent of Black Michiganders’ COVID deaths drop from 40% in the spring to just 5.7% in early Fall.
|Novo Nordisk||“The Disproportionate Impact of Obesity on Racial & Ethnic Minorities”|
· Multiple factors cause obesity to disproportionately impact minorities
· Access to the full continuum of obesity care – intensive behavioral therapy, pharmacotherapy, and bariatric surgery – is essential to obesity management
|CAQH||“A Way to Preserve Scarce Medicaid Resources During COVID & Beyond”|
· CAQH’s nonprofit ‘COB Smart’ is a unique coordination of benefits solution where >45 health plans contribute eligibility data to a registry then shared w/ commercial and govt participating plans, to identify medical overlaps before claims are paid with 99.5% accuracy. One plan reported an 80:1 return on investment.
|American Traffic Safety Services Association (ATSSA)||“Accident Prevention: Safer Roads, Work Zones, and School Routes”|
· Safe routes to schools include pavement markings, bike lanes, more
· Work zone safety improves w innovation like incl work zone safety in driver’s ed
· Guardrail, pavement markings, traffic signs and signals makes roads safer
|“Helping Governments Promote Factual Information About COVID-19”|
· Google is helping governments offer accurate information on COVID-19 to constituents by offering government entities free search ad credit for use through the end of 2021, as well as a volunteer account manager from Google
Lt. Governor Billy Nungesser, Louisiana
|“Outdoor Recreation Helps Mental & Physical Health”|
· By Aug 2020, LA State Parks had 48% more visitors than the previous year.
· The state offered stay 3 nights, get a 4th night free.
· Parks added hand sani; gave out State Parks masks; & sanitized 2ce daily.
|The Alzheimer’s Association||“CDC Awards Grants to States to Build a Health Infrastructure for Alzheimer’s”|
· 14 states got CDC funds to grow health capacity for Alzheimer’s.
· CO, GA, HI, IA, ME, MN, MS, NV, NC, OK, RI, VT, VA, & WI got grants.
· NLGA’s Alzheimer’s rep can help you with this or the next round of grants.
|Americans for the Arts||“Strengthening Healthcare Systems thru the Arts”|
· When arts are part of the healthcare experience, the result is shorter hospital stays, less depression, and less medication which equal reduced costs.
· This can be poster art in the room, craft carts, musicians, or much more.
|Alkermes||“Awareness & Screening – First Steps to Address Alcohol Use Disorder”|
· AUD is a chronic brain disorder characterized by an impaired ability to stop or control alcohol use despite consequences.
· FDA-approved MAT for alcohol dependence w/ therapy can aid recovery.
|Lt. Governor Tim Griffin, Arkansas||“An Innovative & Comprehensive Reorganization of the State’s Human Services”|
· To improve efficiency & effectiveness, do extensive outreach within the dept.
· Integrated human services delivery is holistic & ensures coordination.
· Consider consolidating physical county offices for 1-stop services
|Lt. Governor Josh Green, Hawaii||“Housing is Healthcare”|
· HI’n homeless have higher rates of mental illness & addiction & shorter lives.
· Housing HI’s chronically homeless would save $300-M/yr in Medicaid savings.
· Solutions include tiny homes, 1-stop PPP health care, treat mental illness
|Lt. Gov. Bethany Hall-Long, Delaware||“Being a Resource to Vulnerable Communities is One Key to Health Improvement”|
· LG hosts bi-weekly calls for Black, Latino, non-English speaker & faith leaders
· Focus on joint accountability among the state & health, community, & business communities and the general population
|Consumer Healthcare Products Association||“Safe OTC Medicine Use, Storage, & Disposal”|
· Self-care products have $146-B value to the U.S. healthcare system by helping reduce unnecessary doctor visits, increase work productivity, & more
· Visit www.MyOldMeds.com to find the closest local drug collection bin
|American College of Cardiology||“Telehealth and the Public Health Emergency”|
· Support continued robust use of telehealth by supporting greater uniformity in state licensing and ensure appropriate reimbursement for access and sustainability.
|Lt. Governor Boyd Rutherford, Maryland||“Addressing the Opioid Epidemic and Mental and Behavioral Health Services”|
· Increase qualified professionals thru reciprocity standards
· Update the “emergency facility” definition to allow evaluations beyond ERs
· Combating opioids incls. inter-agency coordination & more resources.
|Abbott||“Good Nutrition is an Important State Strategy for Healthy Aging”|
· Establish malnutrition public health goals and quality measures
· Ensure quality malnutrition care is included in preventive and social services, patient safety, care transitions, and population health strategies for older adults.
|Anthem||“Whole Person Care Improves Quality & Outcomes in Medicaid”|
· Studies show integrating mental health (MH) and substance use disorders (SUD) services into the physical health services of Medicaid managed care organizations (MCOs) improves outcomes.
|Biogen||“Impacts of Climate Actions on Human Health”|
· Help under-resourced healthcare clinics identify & address climate risks, such as extreme heat, to improve patient health
· Model the impacts of climate actions on human health, specifically brain health
|Sandoz||“Improving Health System Sustainability with BioSimilars”|
· Biologics are complex treatments made from living organisms, such as bacteria or yeast—which treat diseases like cancer or chronic disease.
· Biosimilar filgrastim saved the US healthcare system about $1.2-B 2016 -2020