NLGA is publishing State Strategy Perspectives from NLGA members and NLGA Partners from September 2020 – February 2021. State Strategies in Building, Supplying, and Maintaining Communities published in December, 2020.
|Lt. Governor Sheila Oliver, New Jersey||“Dept. of Community Affairs: Strengthening Local Governments”|
· The LG is Commissioner of the Dept of Community Affairs (DCA)
· DCA gives grants to local governments with fire, building safety, housing, +
· DCA gave COVID funds to communities to support small businesses
|Lt. Governor Matt Pinnell, Oklahoma||“Promote State Tourism to Support Communities”|
· Create/promote a tourism trail highlighting assets/history in your state
· Generate dollars to small and locally owned businesses
· I’m making the case for the Great American Road Trip on Route 66!
|Sourcewell||“Ensuring Successful Government Procurement”|
· Sourcewell offers its cooperative purchasing to units of government for free
· Sourcewell serves 35,000 communities and schools across the country
· Helped purchase unforeseen pandemic essentials in compliance w/ rules
|Lt. Governor Billy Nungesser, Louisiana||“Volunteers Maintain & Grow Communities”|
· LAns volunteer >129-M hours per yr w/ a economic impact of $2.8-B.
· Recognize volunteers in your state thru your own recognition programs.
· Recognize volunteers in specific populations: Veterans Service, Over 60 +
|“How Businesses and Government Can Grow Public Trust”|
· Government leaders can close the opinion and trust gaps with people in communities by embracing the “Three Ts” of crisis communication and developing messages that are Targeted, Timely, and Transparent.
|Institute of Scrap Recycling Industries (ISRI)||“Recycling is Essential to Communities: Jobs & Stewardship”|
· Recycling represents $110-B in economic activity
· Recycling employs >164,000 Am’ns in jobs w/ an avg $73,000 in compensation
· Recycling generates $13-B billion in federal, state and local tax revenue
|Lt. Governor Pamela Evette, South Carolina||“Grab a Bag & Keep Communities Beautiful”|
· Litter adversely impacts environment, economic activity, property values, more.
· Litter pickup costs business $9.1-B/yr & education institutions $241-M
· Litter pickup improves the economy, property value, the env, & more
|American Traffic Safety Services Association||“Traffic Safety Services Workers Build Safer Communities”|
· Traffic Safety Services build safer communities on roadways thru guardrail, pavement markings, traffic signs and signals, and more.
· Safe Routes to Schools focuses on signage, crosswalks, bicycle lanes, more.
|Lt. Governor Juliana Stratton, Illinois||“R3 Grants for Communities Harmed by Violence, Excessive Incarceration, & Economic Disinvestment”|
· Restore, Reinvest & Renew (R3) uses 25% of cannabis tax revenue (legal for adults >21) for grants ($30-M in cycle 1) for violence prevention, youth, reentry, eco devo & legal aid in select communities. See https://r3.illinois.gov/.
|IAAPA (The Global Attractions Industry Association)||“Sustainability Practices in the Attractions Industry”|
· Attractions model audience shaping behavior via sustainable practices
· Attractions practice water conservation, waste reduction, & LEED design
· Sustainability is a way of living and doing business molding generations
|Lt. Governor Eleni Kounalakis, California||“Office of CA Lt. Governor Unites All Higher Education Communities”|
· Law unites all higher ed communities by making CA OLG as the only member of every governing board overseeing California’s public higher education system
· Sits on CA Community Colleges Bd, Univ of CA Regents & CA State Univ Bd