POLICY RESOLUTIONS PROCESS, as of May 12, 2020
- A policy resolution may be filed by a NLGA Member (Lt. Governor, Secretary of State, or Sen. Pres.) WITH a co-sponsor of the opposite major party.
- NLGA staff are happy to review language for you and assist in identifying possible co-sponsors until close of business June 17, 2020.
- June 17, 2020, is a suggested goal to be working on the second, opposite party sponsor so they have two weeks to consider it.
- A policy resolution is filed simply by emailing it, with BOTH co-sponsors (see #1), to NLGA’s Kellie Rittershausen at [email protected].
- The deadline to file a resolution is close of business June 29, 2020.
- Every filed policy resolution is posted to www.nlga.us as filed.
- Please respect the complexities of coast-to-coast virtual consideration of policy resolutions. ** EVERY NLGA Member and Partner who plans to participate in the policy resolutions process is strongly URGED TO REVIEW all filed resolutions between June 30, 2020, and July 15, 2020. By July 15, 2020, identify any question, objection, or requested amendment to the NLGA Member sponsor(s) AND NLGA staff. Think consent calendar by the voting stage on July 29, 2020.
- On July 29, 2020, resolutions (or batches of resolutions), as they prefer, will be considered by the Policy Resolutions Committee. The Committee will vote.
- For each resolution that passes committee, an immediate vote of the whole NLGA membership present and participating will vote.
- That will conclude the process.
(Notes: This process upholds all NLGA Bylaws via a motion passed by the NLGA Executive Committee May 12, 2020, designating the NLGA 2020 Virtual Annual Meeting as a special meeting, and via KRS 273.195 and 273.203. Quorum for passage by the general membership is five NLGA members total. Resolutions pass by majority of those present and voting.)